Sunday, July 14, 2013

Week 8, Activity 2

I am excited for this final Multimodal Learning Adventure Project as last week, I found a great video (I actually found it in EDUC 6816): 

I liked the idea of having a News Cast in our school so much that I wanted to mention having a "NEWS" elective to my principal.  While looking for a learning adventure, I found this: Broadcast Media: Enhancing Literacy Through Student Production.  I am excited about developing an assessment and meeting standards to get the administrators at my school "on board" with this idea.

About this Project:
Students will work together to create a NewsCast that the whole students body will  watch.   I like the idea of having specific roles: camera operators, news directors, news anchors, writers, and researches.  I may have to modify this project because we may not have access to a teleprompter.  I might vary the length, but aim to keep it at five minutes.  I would like the students to rotate roles; this  will give students a chance to experience other position and help "teach each other."

Learning Outcomes:
I teach math and although we could occasionally try and incorporate some sort of math outcome, this project would be part of an elective class. We have an extra period during the day where I help small groups of students with math or students are provided, but I believe that our schedule could be adapted so that those students would get extra help from other math teachers if needed.  What I am trying to say, the outcome wouldn't necessarily be a math outcome, as this would take place in an elective setting. Students could even rotate into this elective class on a 9-week basis.

Several Language Arts WV CSOs could be targeted:
RLA.O.8.2.8
conduct research by gathering, evaluating, and synthesizing data from a variety of sources:

  • Internet
  • databases for periodicals/newspapers
  • interviews
  • reference books
  • card catalogue
  • miscellaneous resource materials
RLA.O.8.2.9
select and use a variety of resource materials to plan, develop, and deliver a research project 

RLA.O.8.3.1
model effective oral communication skills (e.g., tone, volume, rate, audience, etiquette, standard English) through the presentation of
  • compositions
  • reports
  • scripts with documented sources, using multiple computer-generated graphic aids.
RLA.O.8.3.7
plan, create, organize, and present an age-appropriate media product that demonstrates format, purpose, and audience.

RLA.O.8.3.5
perform a variety of roles in group discussions:
  • collaboration
  • facilitation
  • persuasion

How does this address multimodal learning?
This is the perfect example of multimodal.  Students are collaborating, using new technologies, and creating an authentic project.  Students would need to learn how to format the videos, work the cameras, edit the clips through editing software, broadcast the news across the school, have effective sound, report efficiently, research ethically, etc.  Students would develop new and authentic literacies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment