Sunday, July 14, 2013

Weekly Reading 8

Quote:
"It seems that adults are in a conundrum when we examine our assumptions about our own positions related to adolescents’ interests in popular culture: we run the risk of appearing to know too much or seeming to know too little.(Alvermann, Hagood, & Williams, 2001)."

Why this Quote?:
Although this article doesn't necessarily summarize or highlight the beneficial points of pop culture in the article, this was a quote that really stuck with me because I've had that "knowing too much" or "too little" feeling.  As an 8th grade teacher, there is a fine line between the "knowing too much" or "too little" when it comes to popular culture.  I have had students' jaws drop when they find I have not read or watched a single Twilight book/movie.  I have hadn't that same gaping reaction when they find out that I have tickets to a Kenny Chesney concert and so do they.  The article does make me realize that this conundrum that I find myself is okay: "Though it might appear to be a no-win situation, we think that attending to these assumptions can in fact aid in developing more in-depth understandings about meaning making when both adults and adolescents are involved in literacy activities that invite popular culture into the discussion. Certainly in our engagement of texts with Ned and with other young adolescents like him, we struggled with our assumptions about meaning making in texts we knew and didn’t know; and, to be sure, we continue to think about it. Based upon the tenuous positions we took up related to Ned’s and to other adolescents’ interests in popular culture, we did, however, locate two points helpful in designing spaces for the inclusion of popular culture that recognized the legitimacy of the meaning-making and literacy strategies adolescents use:In-depth observations of their uses of popular culture texts as part of their literacy repertoires, Discussions about the multiple positions they created while using such texts.  In many ways, these activities also served to help us grapple with being both teacher and learner."

Related Source:
Using Pop Culture in Elem School
I am currently teaching summer school in an elementary setting and loved these ideas! It is definitely worth a look and try.

Questions:

  1. What is your stance on using popular culture texts in school?
    • I think it is important to identify with students and incorporate their personal interests.  However, it needs to be appropriate, not some movie or song lyric that is full of negative sex, drug use, and foul language.  Just because you have a student that watches South Park, doesn't mean you must incorporate it; you can find something that is appropriate and popular among students.
  2. What are your concerns about using popular culture texts in school?
    • As mentioned above, I don't want to do something that will "get me in trouble."  I don't want to read/watch/listen to anything that glorifies sex, drugs, violence, etc.  
  3. How can popular cultural texts support school-based writing?
    • Ned and Kevin conversed via email.  In these written emails, Ned shared his interpretations and ideas about a rapper that he admired. “Youth can know more or less what they like about such texts; they frequently know and can articulate why they like what they like" (Alvermann, Hagood, & Williams, 2001).  It is easier for students to express themselves through something that they know and like.
  4. Find and link to a  web-based popular culture text you might use to support writing in your teaching context.
Article Reference:
D.E. Alvermann, M.C. Hagood, & K.B. Williams (2001, June). Image, language, and sound: Making meaning with popular culture texts. Reading Online, 4(11). Available: http://www.readingonline.org/newliteracies/lit_index.asp?HREF=/newliteracies/action/alvermann/index.html

5 comments:

  1. I agree that we as teachers are often afraid of knowing "too little." We think we should have all the answers and I think we provide a disservice to our students when we construct our lessons this way. No one knows everything and it is good for students to see how their teachers persevere and locate sources for information when they are not sure of something. Learning should be a collaborative process with the teacher and the students both contributing useful information. In this respect, popular culture is an excellent tool to use because the students can become the experts when the teacher is unfamiliar with the topic. It shows the students' that what they have to say is important and valued.

    I am also teaching elementary summer school! Thank you for including the article "Five Ideas for Using Pop Culture to Inspire Elementary students." I particularly liked the D-D-N lesson and will definitely try the free comic creator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that One Direction had a math song. I know they are a popular band now, like NSYNC was in my day. However, I think it's a really cool activity you could do with that. I posted a similar activity where students had to create their own math songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the "Five Ideas for Using Pop Culture to Inspire Elementary students" - they seemed fun... wish I had that teacher when I was in elementary school!

    I think its wise to be cautious about what kind of pop culture we use in the classroom. Its not appropriate to use anything with sex, drugs or violence - being aware of when things are appropriate or not is teachers practicing information literacy. Unfortunately I think so many people just think of those bad things when they think about pop culture... but its not so!

    BTW: I only read the Twilight series after I started working for an organization that mentors young girls. The first day I didn't have a clue what to talk to them about..... The girl I was paired with just lit up when I asked what was her favorite book. After that, I thought I better read it so I could talk to these girls about something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have Twilight on my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I chose the same quote as you, it is so true! I, like you, haven't read/ watched anything Twilight. I tried to once and the skin sparkling in the sun thing just lost me.

    ReplyDelete